Friday, March 6, 2015

Book Review: The Vanishing Girl by Laura Thalassa

My first book review!  So, yesterday I finished The Vanishing Girl. It is written by Laura Thalassa.  This is a Young Adult book, and I have to say that it was an interesting concept.  It is about Ember, a teenage girl who can teleport.  Since puberty, the first 10 minutes after she falls asleep she finds herself somewhere else. Once she turns 18, the government steps in and harnesses her powers for the good of national security.  It's a sci-fiesque book with military overtones.

Pros: Interesting concept.  Story feels new.

Cons: I don't know if I like or hate the character.  I'm rooting for her, but it seemed like there needed a bit more character development.... for all the characters.  I think that is the only thing I didn't like about the book, the people seem hollow. They need a bit more life to them; hopefully we will get it in the next book. Right now I know I'm supposed to care about these people, but I really don't know why. Also, what is splicing? What causes it? More detail please!!


This is a Young Adult book, so there is some - ahem "adult situations".

This is the first in a trilogy, and I am looking forward for more of Ember's story. I give it almost 4  out of 5 stars. I liked it enough to read the second installment so there you go.  Will keep you updated!

Incidentally, if you have Amazon Unlimited, this is one of the free offerings.

I have also read The Queen of All That Dies and I really loved that book by her. I will review that at a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment