Monday, April 13, 2015

When Good TV Goes Bad (+ "Revenge" Rant by Jamie...spoilerish)

Don't you hate it when you start watching a show from the very beginning and the writing tanks? You've stuck with it season after season and then shark jumping. I'm looking at you, Revenge. It has just gotten so completely stupid that I just can't even. I stuck through during the Aiden shenanigans, and rejoiced when they killed him off. Finally, it seemed that the writers were on the right track, but alas. You have lost me, writers, I cannot even bring myself to watch the last episodes. I'll read the recaps, but just no.

(Jamie's notes rants are in blue!)

Agree! I do not quit watching shows. If I watch the first season of something then it is hard for me to stop because I have invested time into it so I want to see where it goes. It's even worse if I really loved in when it began. I often end up hate-watching it just hoping it gets cancelled (I am looking at you Gossip Girl). I rarely give up. I know writing is hard! Sometimes ideas don't play our like you'd imagine, the networks place a lot of stipulations, there are many episodes per season so those "filler" story lines can get stupid/boring. I get it. I stick with you. 

All of that being said....I quit watching Revenge. Deleted every episode off of my DVR and haven't even read recaps (although a certain friend did tell me a condensed version of what has happened....I am not regretting my decision). (Spoiler Alert) They had a major character end up being alive and another major character got killed and the story lines they wrote should have been gold, but they were worse then last season. I can understand slumps or red tape, but when you have everything you need and still mess it up I am out. Seriously I think at this point the writers are competing for how stupid and inconsistent they can make their writing. 
I think the problem is the writers never decided if they wanted the show to be sort of artsy with a deeper philosophical message or telenovela style trash TV. If they had picked a direction and stuck to it the show would have been good and consistent, but they tried to merge those two things which is nearly impossible and failed miserably! I would have said impossible, except Jane the Virgin has managed to merge the 2 themes beautifully (seriously this show is awesome, people should really watch it!), but it is a more comedic show and Revenge takes itself way to seriously for that.  


No comments:

Post a Comment