Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Avoiding the Hydroplane!

Good day, readers! I hope you all had a wonderful holiday weekend. It rained here pretty much all weekend long. Texas is drenched. So, if you are in the Flooded areas, please stay safe. 

A wise person once told me the formula for avoiding hydroplaning. It involves math, so I don't drive more than 55 mph when the roads are terrible. 

Here's the formula:
Nine times the square root of your tire pressure equals the vehicle hydroplane speed in MPH. 

Now, it looks like I've been going too fast; as my tire pressure is 22 psi. According to my calculator, the sqrt of 22 is 4.69. Multiply that by 9 and you get 42. So, in order to avoid hydroplaning I need to maintain speed below 42 mph. 

Special thanks to Curtis Klotz for teaching me this very useful info. Having hydroplaned once, I never ever want to do that again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment