Monday, August 17, 2015

Comic Con - The Bad, the Good, and the %$@$!!! - Part 3, %$@$!!!

I want to start this critique by saying I love Comic Con. Love it. Even before I have the amazing experience I did. It's a place you see people dressed in insane ways, acting in insane ways, and no one cares or even blinks. There are crazy religious people picketing out front and people come to debate them or antagonize them while everyone else ignores them. There is a feeling of acceptance and belonging. My son lost his phone and the DS and both were turned into lost and found. I lost a jacket at Disneyland and never saw it again. Disneyland! I love the atmosphere of these types of places, I feel less reserved, I am more out spoken and just generally more comfortable, even though it's a huge paradox because it should be everything I hate! Large building, super crowded, lots of walking and waiting in lines. Yet I love it. I would just love it to be a bit more organized!

Day 3!
Company arrives! Fellow blogger (or I should say primary blogger since I have written maybe 5 things counting these 3) Shelly has arrived and is joining us! We do things like this well together because we are both naturally tired and bitchy so we have low expectations. Also neither of us is prone to sensitivity so that's always good. I say this because my sister and her son are also going and they are both very prone to sensitivity. They have to stand in line for their tickets, which brings me to critique number 1. Let people pick up their badges the day before! In the afternoon the ticketing people are not very busy, it would not be that difficult to make this allowance and it would cut down on lines and traffic in the morning. Also if you only have a 1-2 day ticket you are out of luck from doing anything because you will spend your morning waiting to get your tickets! It's kinda crap. So sister and Shelly wait for tickets, I head to the back to try and get into the WB signing line. Security is on top of things this morning though! Way to go guys, only took you 3 days. Pfft. They had it very carefully sectioned off and the lines moving in ways that prevented jumpers or the on rush. The way it always should have been. I couldn't even be upset. We went to the general line and just decided to get into the exhibit hall line and try for Funko tickets. My husband got in the doors just as the last ticket was handed out. Aww. My sister could not keep track of us. I gave up on her staying with us. We would get separated, but my husband, Shelly, and I were excellent about finding each other quickly. The WB signings was what I really wanted for Saturday, but I didn't get those so there was 1 panel I wanted to see and it was right before a panel Shelly wanted to see, in the same room! Score! We let the older boys do whatever they wanted because they were annoying. Shelly's adorable son E wanted to play the Transformers game and was VERY upset when he was taken away from there, but then acted VERY well with the promise he could play again! We went to that panel and it was Felicia Day and Allie Brosh and it was amazing! Shelly and E napped. When it was over we moved up and watched the Hasbro Toy panel all about My Little Ponies! Okay, they may have talked about Transformers, Gi Joe, and Jem, but whatever I just listened to the My Little Pony stuff. :D
Day 4!
Last day. Sunday Funday. Lazy day. It's kids day at Comic Con, so naturally we brought NO kids! Except Illy, she is good at carrying things and going to get stuff (she is small and gets in and out of crowds easier). We took it easy, mostly. I wanted Funko tickets! We were toward the front of the exhibit line. We watched a proposal there in line which was super sweet! They let us in and I was searching for the random person handing out Funko tickets, someone walked up to me and whispered "Are you looking for Funko?" I said YES! He handed me one! Yes! Someone guys overheard this and rushed me he shrugged and walked off. Ha! So my ticket said Phase 1 or Round 1 or something with a 1 on it, meaning I got to get in line. They handed me a list of what was available. I checked the couple I wanted and waited...and waited...and waited. We hardly moved. HOURS went by. We crawled along. I noticed people all around me with 'exhibitor' badges and they were checking every box. Ugh. Periodically someone would shout out the ones they sold out. Luckily they weren't the ones I wanted. Then I noticed anyone with a handicap badge walked right into the line and didn't wait at all. What?!? Apparently the ADA badges are easily obtained when you pick up your comic con badge and it comes with all sorts of 'perks' I noticed several people walk right into panels, right passed a long line of people waiting. This is another one of those areas Comic Con organizers needs to do better! Maybe a placeholder instead of walking in? I don't know, but if they don't do something in a year or two you will have tons of people exploiting this system meant to help people and it will no longer be helpful for those who really need it. I did eventually get up and was able to purchase the Pop Figures I wanted and they are adorable!
We took it easy the rest of the day. We watched a Sailor Moon panel. I learned that Sailor Moon is terrible dubbed and good subtitled, or the new ones are and the ones I watched as a kid are okay dubbed? I left early half because I wanted to make sure I got seats for the Buffy musical (end of Comic Con tradition) half because I needed to move around or I was going to fall asleep, it had been 4 days and I was TIRED! Went into the room for Buffy and it was a Batman cartoon! I love Batman cartoons! It woke me up. Buffy the musical was awesome as always and before it Juliette Landau (Druscilla) spoke about a documentary she is making about vampires which sounds really neat! We got her autograph and picture afterwards and she recognized my daughter's name as being from Angel, which impressed me since she was not on the series at that time.
Illy & Juliette Landau

Overall it was a great experience and I plan on repeating it next year. Sadly I don't think Shelly will because she is a big ol party pooper and did not have as much fun as I did (I think it was because she was super tired and worn out from driving in the day before and would have more fun not preggo, but whatevs), but that's okay because I can still count on her visits since I am near a certain 'happiest place on earth' kingdom that I know she loves. :D Anyways that was my super wordy and poorly edited Comic Con experience. I scheduled these and edited them not at all (otherwise they likely wouldn't be published). Hope to see you there next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment